Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Global Sports Hospitality: the best ways to enjoy your prawn sandwich.

I went to watch the Footy last week at the MCG - the Aussie Rules version. I was a guest of Cadbury's for the evening - in fact I spent the entire evening in a giant box of Cadbury's. Ok it was a corporate box, but what with all the free chocolate on offer, who could tell? As for the game itself - it turned into a cracking 95-95 draw, with St Kilda equalising with the last kick of the game.

I realised that I have been fortunate to experience some fantastic corporate hospitality over the years. It all started with a seat in the Royal Mail box at Anfield for my leaving bash back in 1994, and it went on from there. Some of it useful to my work, some of it not.... and whilst I don't consider myself to be from the 'prawn sandwich brigade' ((c) Roy Keane) - its more down to a  technicality. I don't eat fish. Other than that I am openly delighted to to be invited to indulge in some chatting, smoozing and watching some top quality entertainment - all in the name of work.

Here's a list of my favourite prawn sandwiches.

Liverpool UEFA Champions League (c/o UEFA, Anfield 2005)

That Gerrard goal vs Olympiakos, Riise's stunner vs Bayer Leverkusen... I saw all the home games at Anfield in the run up to the famous 2005 Champions League triumph. Having a friend who works for UEFA is pretty fortunate. Yes sir. Willy I salute you. It didn't stretch to tickets for the final, but I would probably left at half time like quite a few did with the reds 3-0 down. But what a run this was. I even shared a dinner table with Clive Owen one night.


Vodafone Challenge (c/o Vodafone, Old Trafford 2004)

I scored a stunning curling top corner free kick at Old Trafford into the Stretford End. There was no keeper, just one of those practice drill walls of wooden men. Still felt pretty good. We also had a 5 a side tournament on the pitch with United legends. My team was skippered by Frank Stapleton. I'm not embarrassed to admit I bottled out of a 50/50 ball with Clayton Blackmore, there was only going to be one winner anyway. And it wouldn't have been my right knee. Frank wasn't happy. Fantastic day, even if I did have to wear a United kit the whole time.



Lunch with England World Cup Rugby Team (c/o O2, Twickenham 2005)

No actual rugby involved - just lunch with the players, and a great tour of Twickenham. Sat with Ollie Barkley who wouldn't say boo to a goose and the man mountain called Danny Grewcock who would no doubt eat said goose in one. No guesses to who was the most interesting. This was as blatant a freebie as you can get. No work, all play.

Ana Ivanovic. Wow.
Australian Tennis Open (c/o Nestle, Melbourne 2011)

Djokavic vs Nadal in the semi. Our host hinted the seats were excellent - he forgot to add we were actually in the Serb's players box. Djokavic was a man possessed - so were his backroom team. Passionate doesn't even come close in describing their ferocious support. Plus I was sat along from Ana Ivanovic. Say no more. She was featured on the Channel 7 coverage quite a bit which meant I was too. Good job I hadn't pulled a sickie.



Sir Freddie.
England v Pakistan ODI (c/o LBM, Old Trafford, 2003)

I had not only managed to get a ticket for myself but also my mate Kimbo as a special treat (she is cricket mad.) The game was ok. The after game party was the highlight. The sponsors had knocked 2 boxes into one to create a players bar. We were smoozing with a bunch of former players and Lancashire vets when in walked Freddie Flintoff. I was too in awe to actually strike up a conversation of any note, but hell, it was Freddie. I got the photo and the signed T Shirt. That was enough.


MTV Awards (c/o Dell, Berlin 2009)

A fake paparazzi area. Sad.
Berlin itself was the highlight of this mammoth trip from Dubai to Berlin to London to New York to Austin, Texas back to London and eventually on home to Dubai in about 10 days. Phew. I had to work for this one. Jay Z, Beyonce, Katy Perry, U2, Green Day and others played live and were rudely interrupted every 15 minutes for an ad break (or 'free' bar trip as I like to call them.) Not so at the after show VIP party where I was about to ask the DJ to play some Shakin Stevens only to realise it was Fatboy Slim. Three days later I was watching the Nets get drubbed by the Celtics in New Jersey. Cheers Dr Pringle.





3 comments:

  1. Thats one hell of a Prawn Sandwich list... Honored that Nets v Celtics even made the blog!!

    I also seem to remember many moons ago, a nice Jolly to the St Leger at Donny Racecourse, courtesy of "7"!! Happy Days !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about Donnie, I remember the Leeds v Newcastle game well, where you nearly got us lynched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Gerrard goal vs Olympiakos, Riise's stunner vs Bayer Leverkusen... I saw all the home games at Anfield in the run up to the famous 2005 Champions League triumph. nice post

    ReplyDelete