Friday, June 24, 2011

9 to 5 Traveller: Frequent Flier points are no bonus.

Sometime yesterday morning Alison would have woken up in London having covered 3 continents, twelve thousand miles, 3 airports and 28 hours of flight time. I really feel sorry for her today, even if she gets to be at home with family and friends while I slog it out at the office. Let's be honest, long haul flying is a horrible experience. Old Frank Sinatra tried to make flying sound romantic, Michael Buble tried to close the deal too, but when two of the smoothest crooners in the land can't convince us, you know it's bad.


Even Mr Buble would get a slap if he serenaded her at Heathrow when she landed (Gary Barlow on the other hand might have had a chance.)  'Where the air is rarefied, We'll just glide, starry eyed'... Starry eyed jet lag due to oxygen deprived conditioned air that is.

Long distance flying is one of the worst aspects of leaving Europe, and living in more isolated continents. You ultimately end up on more long distance flights than ever. You finally understand first hand why only a third of Americans own a passport, and only a quarter of Australians ever use theirs. They have to fly a long way just to get out of their own airspace.

I do actually enjoy flights of around four to five hours. That's just enough time to lose yourself in a good book, or catch a new movie. You can enjoy a conversation with your partner, neighbour or the flight staff, and sip a glass of wine or three, safe in the knowledge that in no time at all you'll be in an exciting new country.

After five hours flying time everything changes. You have to try to sleep in a seat made for sitting. The guy in front reclines his seat fully back leaving a space of about 6 inches in which to breathe. You realise the friendly person you struck up a conversation with before now won't stop talking / snoring / farting / or going to the loo. Kids are getting restless and crying. You're on your second tray of a chicken surprise dinner for one. Even the flight staff become irritable and they are paid to be friendly. You have ten more hours to go, and can only think about how crap you will feel when you land in some strange foreign land. The toilets are disease ridden cess pits. It's normally about this time I want to strangle the idiot who pulled the plug on supersonic travel.

Surely there must be a better way, and I don't mean business class, which is well and truly reserved for the rich or fortunate. I thought things might change when the super plane A380 arrived on the scene, what with its double deck and all. But if you have been on one of these, you know that nothing has changed. The top deck is all business or first class, which now comes with bars, jacuzzi's, private apartments, and butler service. The lower deck is exactly the same, they just cram even more seats in. I love this idea from Lufthansa, which basically suggests removing all the seats and creating beds instead. I did a double take to check it wasn't an April fool's joke, and although the Daily Mail seems to think it's degrading, I say bring it on!

There is of course the option of not travelling in the first place, like the Americans and Australians, but then you would miss out on so many amazing new places. So for now put up with it we must, and pray the Germans see this crazy idea through. If anyone can, they can.

Over the past five years, I clocked up over two hundred and fifty thousand airmiles with Emirates, all in cattle class. Frequent flier miles were considered a perk of the job. The irony is that my reward for spending bucket loads of corporate cash with them was to get to spend more time flying. You may not be surprised to hear that I have not left the office in Melbourne in nine months in my new job. Now that is a genuine perk.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha.... This is bizarre... 10 Minutes ago I sent you an email and suggested you write a blog about air travel!

    I agree with you entirely.. 4-5 hours is fun (unless its on a charter or easyjet), but anything that involves an overnight is just a chore. People think flying for work is exciting... they should try it (I did 127,000 miles on flights one year... last year was a quiet year; I only did 83,000)

    I love the Lufthansa plan, but it would never work.... the beds would never be big enough or sturdy enough for fat Americans! It looks like business class is the way forward for those overnights, which for me means buying an economy ticket and upgrading on miles, however only when I'm flying for personal reasons. Which reminds me of my flight back from South Africa last year. Boarding the plane in shorts,and england shirt, unshaven and looking like I'd just spent the last 3 weeks in the bush raised eyebrows (mainly those of the snobby French businessman who was sat next to me). After being tutted at 3 times he found his complimentary champagne in his lap, when I accidentally knocked it over, then went to sleep and proudly farted all night!

    If work want to send me on a flight more than 8 hours then they can put their hands in their pockets, hence the reason why I'll never go to Israel (they did ask, and when the confirmed that the flight was cattle class they were given a very short answer)... A 14 hour flight in economy, overnight and they expect me to be ready to work the next day!! Dont they know I'm grouchy and obnoxious at the best of times, but after 36 hours without sleep, stay out of my way...or buy me alcohol !!

    Prings

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a co-incidence mate! I loved your email, that plane livery is hilarious. I think you are well and truly a frequent flyer - Dell never paid for Business Class; I conned them once into paying for premium economy. Other than that I had to pray for those magical three little words "You've been upgraded."

    Love the comments mate, be well!

    I have had a few experiences with fellow passengers being grumpy: it normally happens when I object to them reclining their seat. "but I am trying to sleep" they argue. "Well, I am trying to breathe," normally gets them to play ball, but not all the time. Then there's the puhsing and shoving to get off the plane first, when tempers also flare - these are the same people who have just wasted 10 hours plus of their life on a plane - now all of a sudden every minute is sacred. Idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha.... I agree with the sprint to get off the plane as soon as it lands... seriously... Chill out, the thing isnt going anywhere, and you're only going to wait in the taxi or immigration line anyway!

    My biggest annoyance at the minute is the insistance on taking the largest carry on bag possible. I dont mind people who's bag is a reasonable size (ie it fits in length ways to an overhead locker on an 737), but if it's so big that the only way you can get it in is sideways, or its too big for you to even pick up then take the hint and CHECK THE FREAKIN BAG. Coming back from New Orleans last week the woman 2 rows in front called me rude because I refused to help her get into the overhead lockerget a bag that was so big I could have got in it myself!! Add that to the fact that all US carriers have ripped all the cost out of their business so the punters now bring an assortment of fast food crap on board so the cabin smells awful never helps!

    The joys of flying!! No wonder I've only had 2 trips to Europe this year, and refuse trips to Israel and Brasil.

    Enjoy being home alone!! Party at Brads!!

    Prings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that trend of bringing Macca's on the plane when I was over there few years back when I saw you in the States - that was weird, and smelly. Never seen it done anywhere else (yet) but it will probably catch on elsewhere.

    Man, it is funny seeing people trying to find space for their bags, and be outraged when they cant find any... I agree, CHECK YOUR BAGS. Not worth the hassle.

    ReplyDelete