Monday, June 6, 2011

The Good Food and Wine Show, Melbourne Convention Centre

Friday 3 June

I was fortunate to have the opportunity of combining work with pleasure late Friday afternoon, with a visit to the Good Food and Wine show. It's the first foodie show I have been to and I pleasantly surprised to see how enjoyable these types of thing can be.


Jeni, Meagan and myself arrived about 15 minutes before our 4pm Cheese Matters seminar, which gave us just enough time to get a feel of the main hall stalls beforehand. I quickly realised the girls were old hands at this, as we strolled from one end of the hall to the other, they instinctively knew the best route to follow, as we sampled dips & dukkahs, fine chocolates, champagnes, freshly baked cakes and Twinings fruit teas along the way! All of it was excellent. I was a little taken aback to find the busiest stand on this stretch was Nando's; not sure how they were accepted to be part of a Good Food show, but judging by the queues, free chicken to go played a large part.

The main reason we had attended was the Cheese Seminar, which was both a chance to sample some local cheeses and allow us three amateur cheese marketeers to see how the professionals do it. This was one of the most amazing half hours I have spent in a long time. I am throwing out the boring cheddars and edams from the fridge from now on.

The fromagier talked us through seven courses of fine cheeses, sweet and savoury companions, and wines and ales to suit. Favourites were the Tasmanian Signature Camembert served with dried apple and sparkling Croser, and the Roaring Forties Blue accompanied by truffle honey and Riesling. I was also given enough tips in cheese etiquette to be able to pull together a decent cheese board the next time we entertain. More importantly I finally know what the heck quince is.

I just about had enough time to pass a few more stalls and take in a few more tastings on my way out. I also realised how to make the most of the wine sampling; you buy a $3 wine glass at the entrance, and just wander freely around the show sampling wine at each and every opportunity. Ahh well, next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment